Anish Kapoor


Anish Kapoor established himself in the art world in the 80's with his biomorphic sculptures he created out of limestone. In all honestly I wasn't entirely sure the definition of "biomorphic" so I looked it up.


"Biomorphic is a term most commonly associated with abstract art to describe a form that is irregular or organic, often derived from shapes found in nature.”

- The Thames & Hudson Dictionary of Art Terms 

Hive - 2009
Corten steel
560×1007×755cm

Anish's work is most definitely organic in nature. In many of his sculptures he explores void and works with ideas of non matter vs. matter. I find these so successful in part due to their massive scale. The size directly impacts the way you read these works and the conclusions you come away with. The idea's just like the art is bigger than we are.

Sky Mirror - 2006
Stainless steel
Diameter 10m

The Sky Mirror in Nottingham, England was the first in a series of innovative reflective sculptures, the likes of which can now be seen in New York and Russia. I find myself making parallel connections between Anishe's other reflective works like Cloud Gate and Jeff Koons' Balloon sculptures because of the way they reflect the world around them. The difference being, I believe Anish designed his sculptures in a way to draw attention to those reflections while Koons usually wants you to focus on him, making his sculptures reflections a happy accident, but that's just my own surmising.

Cave - 2012
Cor-Ten steel
551×800×805 cm

"In the end, I’m talking about myself. And thinking about making nothing, which I see as a void. But then that’s something, even though it really is nothing."
Anish Kapoor

No comments:

Post a Comment